Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Trip to the Farm

On Friday I went to the open house at the Spinning Wheel Alpaca farm in Enniskillen and had the pleasure of meeting Nancy and Garth Hutchinson. On the guided tour, I met some of their amazing alpacas up close, as well as the rest of the farm menagerie. Besides the 30-40 alpacas, there were several dogs, cats, geese and ducks, and even a pot-bellied pig! But the alpacas in all their wooley finery stole the show.

I believe this one is called "Peek-a-boo"



Nancy knows, respects, and loves her alpacas. She is a great source of knowledge about these animals. I was also curious about the great white dogs who were in the field near the alpacas and Nancy informed me that they are a large livestock guard breed called Maremmas. Apparently these beauties are nocturnal and make excellent guard dogs for animals like sheep, goats, and alpacas.


After the farm tour, I visited Nancy and Garth's shop which had beautiful and soft mitts, capes, scarves, coats, etc. all made from alpaca. As well, you can purchase wool directly from Nancy and the skeins are labelled with the name of the alpaca who so graciously provided it!


I went home with a couple of souveniers....two skeins of lace weight alpaca/silk blend from "Opal and Trish."










1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Oh my gosh! What a wonderful field trip! I bet you can't wait to choose the perfect pattern and get that wool on your needles. Does she spin the wool herself? How does she shear the alpacas and are they cooperative?